141st - Final Formation
By , 141ARW / PA
/ Published May 15, 2008
July 5, 2007 --
Fairchild Air Force Base, Wash. - A historic KC-135 formation flight will mark the end of an era for the 141st Air Refueling Wing. On Saturday, July 7 at 10:30 a.m. six of the unit's KC-135's will take off, depart the local flying area to join up and return for a final formation flyover at Fairchild AFB. Due to the 2005 Defense Base Closure and Realignment (BRAC) law the unit's possessed aircraft will be reassigned to the Air National Guard's 185th Air Refueling Wing at Sioux City, Iowa. The aircraft will relocate over the summer with the first KC-135R set to leave next week.
The Washington ANG has a long aviation history and has flown planes over the Inland Empire skies since it was established in 1924. The original "Ace of Spades" hangar still stands at Felts Field in Spokane's valley where a street was named for the unit's first commander, Major John Fancher. The unit moved to Fairchild AFB in 1976 when it was assigned to the refueling mission.
The unit will become a classic associate unit with the 92d ARW, and continue to serve its dual missions in national defense and state emergencies.
Media will have the opportunity to interview the 141st Wing Commander, the Operations Group Commander and the Maintenance Group Commander.
Media is encouraged to attend the event. Please contact Lt Col. Nancy Reid at (509) 247-7003, firstname.lastname@example.org or Capt. Larry Kohlman at (509) 995-7164, email@example.com for more information.